Sunday, January 08, 2006

A picture is worth a thousand words?

Yes, I really think it is.

We haven't had our wedding yet, so I may not be one to be dispensing sage advice, but I have put in my time reading countless wedding magazines, talking to brides, goin' to weddings and researching the hell out of this industry. For me, the choice of our photographer is really one of the most critical and important vendor decisions I think we will make.

EVERY bride I have talked to (and I mean every last one of em') all say the same thing: the day will go by quicker than you can ever imagine. You'll feel like you are in some crazy space time warp continuium where each hour is 15 minutes instead of 60 and before you know it, bing, bam, boom, the party is over. So, aside from your dashing new hubby, what do you have left after the band has played their last song, your bridesmaid has torn her last pair of stockings and you've eaten your last crab puff? You have the pictures!

I should say right off the bat, that I hate posed pictures. And I mean HATE. You know what I'm talking about...the kind you find in your parents old wedding album-- those thick cardboard pages that show the bride and groom and every random member of their family carefully cupping each others hands, tilting their necks just so and gazing off into the camera lens looking anything but natural.

Frankly, I just don't get it. Of course there are a few posed pictures I'd like to take...and think everyone should take. But, truly, the posed pic session with our photographer at our wedding is going to last less than half an hour--really, I mean it!

The alternative, of course, is a new movement toward photojournalism--even fashion style photography. Depending upon what part of the country you live in, obviously your options will be varied, but I think everyone should check out the Wedding Photojournalist Association for some great ideas and photographer referrals.

I've researched photogs long and hard and here are a few of my FAVES:

Belathee

Ira Lippke

Teness Herman

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary Rajotte said...

I feel exactly the same way about posed photos! I told my fiance that when we get married, I only want a few staple posed ones, and the rest to be candid, fun, NORMAL looking photos (not ones that look like we are being held at gunpoint). :)

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home